Time and place: Tue 2-4 pm, Fisher Room, DWB
Trinity Term 2017 Talks:
- 25/04/2017: Koenraad Schalm (Leiden U.) : Disentangling scrambling from hydrodynamics and the membrane paradigm
- 02/05/2017: Richard Davison (Harvard U.):
Diffusion and chaos in holographic systems at non-zero density
Abstract: Recent work has uncovered relations between the rate at which chaotic behaviour spreads in strongly interacting quantum systems, and the diffusivities of certain processes in these systems. Focusing mainly on holographic examples, I will explore the extent to which these relations hold in states at non-zero density, where the diffusion of charge and energy are no longer independent processes.
- 09/05/2017: No Seminar
- 16/05/2017: No Seminar
- 23/05/2017: Misha Shifman (U.Minnesota) : Critical soliton vortex in 4D YM as a “Little String”
Abstract: Recently we found a solitonic vortex string supported in U(2) super-Yang-Mills that appears to be a critical superstring in 10 dimensions R_4 x Y_6 where Y_6 is a noncompact Calabi-Yau manifold. I briefly review this derivation and present new results on the string spectrum. This is the first example of a quantized critical string which is derived from 4D Yang-Mills theory. I discuss some hints for non-supersymmetric Yang-Mills which might be inferred from this example.
- 30/05/2017: Marika Taylor (U.Southampton): TBA
- 06/06/2017: Oscar Dias (U.Southampton): TBA
- 13/06/2017: TBA: TBA
If you are interested in presenting your research in Oxford, please contact Jonas Probst.
For a list of past talks follow this link.
Other seminars of interest: