University of Oxford home page
Condensed Matter Theory Group
Oxford Physics


About us

An introduction to theoretical condensed matter physics

Where we are in the Physics department

Research areas

Members of the group

Seminars and conferences

Graduate study
Post-doctoral positions
Jobs in Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics

Contact Details
Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics
1 Keble Road
Oxford, OX1 3NP
Tel: +44 (0) 1865-273999
Fax: +44 (0) 1865-273947
How to find us including a map
University of Oxford contact search

Post-graduate Studies in Condensed Matter Theory

We still have open DPhil positions to start in October 2008. Please contact Prof. Julia Yeomans for further information.

We welcome applications from well-qualified students interested in research in theoretical, mathematical or computational condensed matter physics, leading towards the D.Phil. degree.

Notes on Application

The University's Graduate Studies Prospectus offers general information. The minimum period of residence prescribed by the University for the DPhil is two years (six terms) but in practice it takes three years, and occasionally longer, except for students who already have some previous postgraduate experience. The Sub-Department does not at present consider applicants wishing to do an MSc rather than a DPhil.

During their first year, students spend some of their time on course work and study. A number of postgraduate lecture courses are provided and students are advised about reading by their supervisors. Problem classes and other work relating to lectures occur in the first two terms (Oct-Apr). At the end of the first year there is an oral examination. The Sub-Department requires satisfactory performance in the written work and the oral examination for students to change status to the DPhil.

How to Apply

Students interested in research in condensed matter theoretical physics at the University of Oxford leading to the doctoral degree of D.Phil., beginning on 1st October 2008, are invited to apply here following the University's procedure.

All applicants should submit their applications to:

Graduate Admissions Office
University of Oxford
University Offices
Wellington Square, Oxford, OX1 2JD
United Kingdom

Please also send a copy to:

Graduate Admissions Secretary
The Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics
1 Keble Road
Oxford, OX1 3NP
United Kingdom

and an e-mail message to our administrator Mrs G Dancey to indicate that you have applied. Your e-mail should contain your full name, current address, and if possible a contact telephone number. We can then expedite consideration of your application.

Funding and expenses

We hold a small number of EPSRC funded studentships to award each year to students from the United Kingdom (UK) or European Union (EU), in order to pursue research leading to the doctoral degree of DPhil. To be eligible for an EPSRC studentship, you must have a First or Upper Second Class Honours Degree (or equivalent) from a UK or EU Higher Education Institution.

The Graduate Studies Prospectus lists other sources of funding available to students from both inside and outside the EU. Prospective applicants are encouraged to make a thorough review of these pages, in particular applicants from outside the EU should consider applying both for a Clarendon Bursary and an Overseas Research Student award, as well as any regional or national Scholarships for which they are eligible.

For updated information about University Fees, College Fees and maintenance, go here. EPSRC studentships meet these costs in full for UK students, but only the University and College Fees for EU students. The Sub-Department is unable to provide or secure grants for overseas applicants, who must demonstrate that adequate financial support is available.

Admission to Colleges

Every research student must be accepted by a college and it is necessary to specify a college when applying. The choice of college does not affect the academic work of the student, which is (as for all research students in science) the responsibility of the department. Many colleges (see the list) make awards for graduate studies, usually as Clarendon Bursaries.