Advanced Topics in Statistical Mechanics
Prof. J. Cardy - Michaelmas Term 2007
There is no single text book which covers these three topics.
- Boltzmann Equation:
- almost any old-fashioned graduate text on statistical physics
has a section on this, for example Fundamentals of Statistical
and Thermal Physics by F Reif (McGraw-Hill, 1985)
- a good account, including the relaxtion time approximation, is in
Solid State Physics by
Ashcroft and Mermin, chapters 13 and 16. (Thanks, Peter Conlon, for
pointing out this reference.)
- a modern and very complete account of this and other transport
equations is in Kinetic Theory by RL Liboff (Prentice Hall,
- Disordered systems and spin glasses:
- an account of the Harris criterion appears in several
introductory texts, for example my own book Scaling and
Renormalization in Statistical Physics, Chap. 8 (CUP, 1996)
- the original paper is AB Harris, J. Phys. C 7,
- the best introductory reference on spin glasses and the replica
method seems to be
Spin Glasses by Fischer and Hertz (CUP, 1991)
- See also
Spin Glass Theory and Beyond by Mezard, Parisi and Virasoro
(World Scientific, 1987)
- Kosterlitz-Thouless transition
- The account in the lectures largely follows my book (above) Chapter 6.
- D. Nelson, in Phase Transitions and Critical Phenomena
Vol. 7, Domb and Lebowitz eds. (Academic, 1983).
- A seminal and readable paper is by Jose, Kirkpatrick, Kadanoff and Nelson,
Phys. Rev. B 16, 1217 (1977).
Last updated 27/11/07.